Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Trust Me I Know The Way

I have a memory that never fails to make me smile.

It was a very hot summer day and I was doing some work at my church. My youngest daughter was with me.

When we finished whatever task I was working on we headed home.

On foot.

I asked Salome if she would like to stop by the store and pick up something tasty. I warned her it would make the trip longer, and hotter, but she chose the "something tasty".

On our way home Salome began complaining about the heat. Our usual route home had very little shade, and was very hilly.

I decided on a detour.

"Mom?"

"Ya Honey?"

"Do you know where you're going?"

I had to laugh. At this time Salome was about five or six years old.

"Yes, Salome. I know exactly where we're going."

The detour we took was shady and less hilly, but unfamiliar to my daughter. So it wasn't long until she questioned me again.

"Mom, are you SURE you know where we are?"

"Yes, Salome, I know where we are. Stop worrying."

We hadn't walked much further when,

"MOM!!! WE'RE GOING TO GET LOST!!!"

I don't recall how the rest of the walk went, though we obviously made it home just fine, but ever since then God has used this memory to remind me that He knows the way.

All I wanted to do that day was make the way home a little more bearable for my daughter. She, however was more comfortable with the old familiar way. Never mind that it was hotter and a much tougher walk.

I'm sure I was tempted to get at least a little annoyed with her, except I could see myself in my little girl.

I'm a lot like that. The old ways may be harder, but at least they are familiar.

What is it about human nature that resists trusting God?

He is bigger than me, older than me, smarter than me...

Yet when He takes me along an unfamiliar path I hesitate, tense up, and with trembling voice I shout,

"GOD!!! I'M GOING TO GET LOST!!!"

With compassion He takes my little hand into His eternal one and says, "With me, you are never lost."

Nodding, I try to ignore my unfamiliar surroundings and just focus on His big, strong hand holding mine.

I keep following, but I'm still a little...

...afraid

.


Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’ Is 41:10 NKJ

No comments:

Post a Comment