Search This Blog

Friday, June 21, 2013

I'm in the midst of transition. I personally love and despise (mostly despise) change.

I enjoy day dreaming about 'what will be' concerning the promises God has given me, but I personally wish God would let me write the script concerning how it will be done.

We were having a ladies meeting some years back and as we were worshipping God in song I was thinking some very judgemental thoughts about one of the ladies. In exasperation over my critical spirit I thought, Lord, can't I just go to a mountain somewhere and be alone with you? Right after that our Pastor's wife began to sing these words in the prophetic,

Who will go to the mountain of the Lord, who will go to the mountain of the Lord, who will go to the mountain of the Lord....I will!

Suffice it to say the next day I began a 40 day trek to the mountain of God. The Lord nudged me to begin to read Exodus and I was delighted to find there are exactly 40 chapters in that book...One for each day of my trip. Of course I was not making a physical journey to Horeb but each day that went by I learned  more about myself and about God. Though I hadn't left home it felt as if I was on a sabbatical.

One of the things I realized as I read Exodus is how much we are inclined to resist God.

The Israelites cried out for deliverance from slavery but when the answer (change) came they resisted.

I imagine when they were praying for freedom they never imagined God would lead them out of Egypt on foot into the desert. They probably imagined some great warrior would rise up, storm Pharaoh's palace, there would be a mighty slaughter, and the Hebrews would rule Egypt. They would stay in that familiar place...maybe upgrade their houses but, except for the slavery part, life would go on as usual.

I have some opinions about how I think God should do things, but I never realized until now how much I cling to those opinions.

God wants to bless His church. He's been trying to get us on the move to the promised land and we've sat down in the sand like  mules (read jack a_ _?) and have refused to budge because the way He's doing it doesn't line up with the way we'd like to see it done.

This can't be God it's too different...no one else is doing it like that...what will people think?

God specializes in the unexpected which is hard for a control freak like me. I hate surprises. I want to know what's going on, make the decisions, give the orders.

 I WANT TO BE

...god.


I called forth the mighty army of Egypt with all its chariots and horses. I drew them beneath the waves, and they drowned, their lives snuffed out like a smoldering candlewick. “But forget all that— it is nothing compared to what I am going to do. For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness. I will create rivers in the dry wasteland.
Is 43:17-19 (The Message)

1 comment: